Mussels spicy tomato sauce is a typical Mediterranean dish, prepared differently in each country, France, Spain, Italy, or Greece, but always with top quality mussels or clams, cooked in a tomato base. We only use mussels in this recipe, but you could mix or substitute with clams as well, but the important part of this dish is the tomato sauce. We recommend our Puttanesca Sauce, organic, all natural, and gluten-free, which gives it a spicy aftertaste and rounds out the flavor with the olives, capers and anchovies already in the sauce. If you like it a little spicier add a couple of drops of Sriracha or spicy paprika.
We stress the tomato sauce as the most important element of the dish, because the best part of this recipe is dipping a crust piece of bread in the sauce that’s left over!
- 1 lb. of mussels, scrubbed, de-bearded, and rinsed clean
- 10 oz. of Organic Puttanesca Sauce
- ½ cup of white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- Add the Puttanesca Sauce, white wine and bay leaves to a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add mussels, mix with sauce and cover with lid.
- After 2-3 minutes remove lid and gently stir, saying “hello” to the mussels, and cover.
- Repeat until they are all open.
- Serve warm.