Risotto is a dish that has been rediscovered recently, and despite it being somewhat labor intensive, the result is always rewarding. It is important to use the right variety of rice for risotto, the two easiest to find are either Italian Carnaroli or Arborio.
In this pesto risotto recipe we prepare a classic risotto as a base before adding our aromatic Basil Pesto Genovese. The complexity of the pesto, the aroma of the basil, and an end result of green rice, makes this dish a crowd pleaser at any meal and especially fun for kids.
This simple dish can be made in just around 20 minutes and uses our organic, gluten-free Basil Pesto Genovese.
- 3/4 Carnaroli or Arborio rice
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 2cups vegetable stock
- 2 tblsp. Organic Basil Pesto Genovese
- 4oz. grated parmesan cheese
- Heat vegetable stock.
- Sautée onion in olive oil in a medium sauce pan on medium heat until transparent, 4-5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir 2 minutes.
- Add white wine, stir, and allow to evaporate.
- Add vegetable stock little by little, stirring constantly, and adding new stock only when all the previous liquid is absorbed.
- Repeat until rice is done, 15-18 minutes depending on variety and brand of rice.
- Turn off heat and let sit 1 minute.
- Add Basil Pesto Genovese and blend well, risotto should turn the color green.
- Adjust for salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with grated parmesan cheese.